Because of the streams and small rivers coming from the mountain, throughout the year, this area is a paradise for birds and other wildlife.
A wide variety of birds in this area and in my garden, here’s a few I often see;
- Goldfinch (flocks)
- Long tail tit
- Water rail (winter)
- Black cap, Blue rock thrush
- Scops owl, Black redstart
- Syrian woodpecker
- Collared dove
- Cetti’s warbler
- Black headed warbler
- Rock nuthatch
- Snow finches
- The White throated kingfisher
- and several Imperial eagles.
- The Scarce swallowtail is abundant here
- along with Red admirals
- and oleander hawk moths.
Other wildlife living on our mountain, although most are seldom seen unless your camping high up, include;
- Mountain hare
- Pine martins
- Red squirrels
- Fat door mice. (Lynx spotted last summer)
Although not as popular with most people, this area is perfect for many lizards and snakes. Common species include;
- Whip snakes, (Large black and Dahl’s)
- Vipers (Ottoman and Nose Horned)
- Terrapins, Chameleons and Agama lizards
The Location & Climate Offers Superb Variation Of Wild Flowers Including Many Endemic ones and Orcihds.Best time to see wild flowers is between February-May when nature is blooming on the hills of Akdag mountain.One of Mel s ambition is to finish her wild flora search and foto collection of this area and puplish it!